But why do you need to invest in SEO anyway? Is it really necessary if you’re a small business?
The answer is a resounding “yes”. SEO helps your audience to find you online and it also moves them through each stage of the buying cycle:
- It builds awareness. It’s through organic results that people find your site and become aware of the products and services you sell.
- It helps them with their research. The more information you provide through different types of content like blog posts, infographics, videos, the better your chances of attracting them to your site.
- It helps them to confirm their final choice and it entices them to purchase from you. You get to build their trust and convince them to buy from you.
In addition to these, here are some other important reasons why you should consider SEO:
SEO delivers a better return than any other form of online marketing
If it doesn’t deliver, it may be because you or the SEO professional you’ve hired isn’t doing it right. When done correctly SEO can deliver nonstop organic traffic to your site. But don’t take our word for it. Here are some SEO statistics to prove it:
- 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine. (Source)
- Leads generated through SEO close at around 14.6 percent while leads from other channels close at an average of 1.7 percent. (Source)
- Search engine optimisation is the best driver of traffic to content websites, surpassing the effectiveness of social media by more than 300%. (Source)
SEO will never go away
While SEO is constantly changing, it won’t disappear. And while Google keeps updating its algorithms to ensure people find exactly what they’re looking for, SEO is (and will continue to be) an important part of delivering the right content to the right people. So make sure you get involved now instead of sitting on the sidelines.
Your competitors are doing it
Even if you put in the work and manage to get at the top of Google’s search engine results, don’t stop there because your competitors won’t either. They’ll continue to invest time and resources into improving their rankings, and so should you.
Your prospects are searching for your business online
93% of all Internet traffic comes from a search engine. In other words, if you want prospects to find your business online, you need to show up in results so they know you exist. If you’re a small business, you can’t afford to be missing out on so many potential customers, can you?
If an SEO agency promised one or more of the following, run!
- That you’ll rank first in a very short period of time
- That you’ll get a huge amount of organic traffic overnight
- That they’ll do SEO once and rank forever
- A cheap service that delivers quality results
SEO is a process and it takes time and hard work to get your site to rank highly in search engine results. Don’t expect overnight success because that’s impossible, and those who promise you the moon (and for only £10) will only end up hurting your site. Usually the consultants and agencies that assure you your site will rank #1 for a keyword in a very short time frame are tricking the system. It won’t take long for major search engines to track you down and penalise you. This can damage your site and, more importantly, your brand in the long run. All the time and resources you will have invested will have been for nothing.